Friday, September 17, 2010

Elevation

Today, after I had climbed the hill of three crosses, I got out of the rut and readied myself to follow Holy Spirit Trail.

Now look at you, trying to analyze my allegory. What is the hill of three crosses? What rut? What do I mean by Holy Spirit Trail?

No, see?



I stopped half way up to take a photo of the bushes near Holy Spirit Trail. They are called Burning Bushes. You can see the reason why; they are already turning red here in central Minnesota, although when I used to live in Illinois I think it happened in late October.



At the top of Holy Spirit Trail there are two radio towers and a water tower (though perhaps if my eyes were more spiritual it would have looked like a font). There is a parking lot that looks like it was just built and has never had anyone park in it.



There are two picnic tables looking equally unused.



I stood on that one to get a couple photos of the northwestern parts of Monticello:




When I did, I noticed this trail. It looked less taken.



I followed it. Wouldn't you?



But not too far. The best kind of path is the one that you still don't know where it ends.



So pretty soon I turned around and descended Holy Spirit Trail, crossed the road and its rut, and went home to have lunch. Tonight Thomas told me that the hill of three crosses reminds him of God because God died on a cross. You can see it from a distance in the 6th image above. Does it remind you of God too?

This is the church which I assume I have to thank for having had a Holy Spirit Trail to climb:



You can see that as I turned the clouds broke open and the light finally came through. And that is all.

---

You think you're clever, don't you? I can see you there, thinking this is something sophisticated -- that this post is a subtle critique of our cultural patterns that want to distinguish literal from metaphorical, bodily from spiritual... something like that. There must be more to it than a walk and a bunch of pictures.

But really, don't you think you're overanalyzing the whole thing?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

And just which path did you intend for us to follow here?

I vote for linear combinations, it's just a walk and it's not just a walk. Normalize :)

"By means of all created things, without exception, the divine assails us, penetrates us and moulds us. We imagined it as distant and inaccessible, whereas in fact we live steeped in its burning layers. In eo vivimus. As Jacob said, awakening from his dream, the world, this palpable world, which we were wont to treat with the boredom and disrespect with which we habitually regard places with no sacred association for us, is in truth a holy place, and we did not know it. Venite, adoremus!"

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, SJ

DC said...

This really makes me want to go walk around my town some more and see what things I can find...